Pages

Friday 6 March 2015

A Flying Visit

I feel like a jet setter with yet another appointment at Southmead Hospital, this one was with my new neurologist. Dad and I only stayed in Bristol for one night - in total it was less than 24 hours that we were away from home, so there wasn't time for any adventures on this trip.

I don't know why but I felt sick to my stomach with nerves the day we were flying to Bristol (04/03/2015). I think it was because Bristol holds so many memories. It was where I was told I definitely had a brain tumour, it was where my biopsy took place which was a high risk operation, it was where my radiotherapy took place which was another big event in my life and where several operations for my hydrocephalus took place too. It also holds happy memories because my mum would always organise a treat for me, such as going to a coffee shop for tea and cake, or taking a drive around Bristol when I was feeling well enough to.

While my dad and I were enjoying a coffee inside the hospital I realised that I had left my handbag at CLIC House. Luckily one of the members of staff would be there so I could collect it after my appointment. Moments later the fire alarm went off, we all had to evacuate the building. It wasn't a real fire and I wondered if someone had burnt their toast as it was morning time. When we were allowed back inside the hospital we headed to the gate where neurology out patients appointments take place, when I suddenly realised that my notes my mum wrote out for me with a list of the medication I'm currently on and have previously taken, as well as other information I wanted to speak to my neurologist about was in my handbag at CLIC House. I panicked and frantically phoned mum who was home in Northern Ireland to text me all the information. I was so close to tears as this meeting was important to me to try and get an answer to my symptoms.

The outcome of the neurology appointment is that I've been given another medication which is to hopefully help with my headache. It was also confirmed that the blood patch I had in December 2014 has definitely not worked. Since I had the blood patch I began acupuncture, which has helped to ease some of my pain a little and has also helped me to sleep better too. Hopefully the new medicine will help my headache even more and I'll be able to do more normal activities such as going out of college for lunch instead of staying in. I'll just have to wait and see what happens so fingers crossed!

It was an eventful trip even though we were only there for less than 24 hours, perhaps it was a good thing that we weren't staying longer as who knows what else could have gone wrong.

Last Friday it was my old school, Hunterhouse College formal. I had an amazing time. I loved getting my nails, hair and make-up done for the event and wearing my super sparkly dress that shone as the light hit the sequins. I was so excited and my adrenaline helped me to get through the night. It was so nice to see my old school friends, some who I've not seen for a very long time. Everyone looked beautiful in their formal dresses. It will be a night to remember for a long time. It was very emotional for my mum as she was so worried I would not be well enough to go, but luckily I was, and I am very grateful to have not missed out on the special evening.


Danielle X

No comments:

Post a Comment